On 17th August 1893 two men from Salford, Lancaster, patented a gas-powered teasmade. James Alfred Greenhalgh was a tinman and gas inspector who lived at 5 Granville Street, Salford, Lancaster, and his neighbour John Thomas Hardman, was a clerk who lived at 8 Granville Street. They may have been in business together in Regent Road. Greenhalgh appears to have had a sponsor, since he could not afford the fee for the patent application. But, sadly, the market was not ready for the device and he did not prosper from his invention.