Provincial Incandescent Fittings Co Ltd was established by Joseph Webber in 1900, to sell lighting appliances and accessories. It became a public company in 1902. In 1949 their name was officially shortened to Pifco. Pifco manufacturered many appliances, including teasmades, as well as fairy lights, torches, lamps, desk fans, hairclippers, hairdryers, multimeters, trouser presses, a hand held massager, and even a toy ray gun!
In 1954 Pifco incorporated Walls Ltd, of River Street Birmingham, as a wholly-owned subsidiary to manufacture medical lamps, kettles and small cookers.
1911 the Filani (Nigeria) Tin Mining Co was incorporated. The last of the mining assets were sold and in 1957 Filani (Nigeria) Tin Mining Co changed its name to Pifco Holdings Ltd and acquired all of the issued share capital of Pifco. The directors were Alfred Disraeli Webber, George Julius Webber, Reginald Scott Rogers, Edward Tapper and Barnet Ellis.
By 1961 Pifco were almost exclusively manufacturing and distributing electrical appliances and accessories. In about 1970 they purchased the Regent Cotton Mill, Failsworth, as their headquarters.
In 1984 Pifco agreed to acquire Swan Housewares from BSR International but later the deal collapsed. In 1987 they acquired House of Carmen, maker of heated hair rollers. In 1991 Pifco purchased Russell Hobbs Tower.
On 4 June 2001 Pifco was bought for £50 million by domestic appliance company Salton Inc, who were based in Lake Forest, Illinois. Pifco became known as Salton Europe. In March 2002 Salton Europe closed down their factory on Bridgnorth Road in Wombourne near Wolverhampton, moving their last bit of production to China. The Pifco ‘stable’ at that time included: Pifco, Salton, Carmen, Russell Hobbs, Tower, Mountain Breeze, HiTech and Haden.
Pifco tea makers have now been discontinued for some considerable length of time, and despite some persistent enquiries, Pifco insist that they have no literature or information to impart.
Sources: Wikipedia and Grace’s Guide